Re: Partition resizing, take 2

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 10:07 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 10:03:33AM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > No, because selecting packages depends on your repo selection.  If you
> > want to add CD repos and have booted the installer off of a CD, you will
> > need to swap CDs.  That means we're going to have to put the installer
> > image somewhere.  By being able to guarantee that the partitions are
> > committed to disk already, we can always have a place to move the
> > installer image to.
>
> Can't it just be put where it's put for network installs? At least if memory
> isn't critical?

The multiple paths of when we commit partitioning changes to disk is
already a pretty regular source of problems.  And resizing is just going
to add more ways for things to not go as expected

> It's bad enough when repository problems break an install midway, but worse
> if the disk has been already wiped....

What if we instead actually, you know, recovered sanely from repository
problems.  Seems like the better solution ;-)

Jeremy