resolving RPM depends & cannot network install

I am having 2 problems trying to spin a custom distro based on Centos-5 (although I am using the anaconda 11.1.2.36 based tools). First of all, I only want to put a minimum set of RPMs in my single CD. I am finding it impossible (many trials & errors) to resolve what RPM dependencies my minimal install group needs. Is there a tool somewhere that I can use to figure out exactly what RPM dependencies a list of RPMS will require?

I have been burning through so many CDs in vain attempts to do this, that I finally decided to setup a network install for testing. However, even the stock Centos-5 won't network install via nfs or http. It loads the modules for my eepro100 & e1000 nics but doesn't seem to bring up the network interface (tried booting from CD & PXE) and fails to connect to the server. I have tried everything I know on multiple machines to no avail. The same net install setup works fine with Fedora Core 6...... Has anyone tried doing network installs with the latest anaconda & kernels? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanks!
Mark