files in updates.img not being implemented

I realize this is anaconda-devel, not anaconda-customizers, but I didn't
know where else to ask.  If there's a better list, let me know.

I've made some small changes to network_text.py (in stage2.img) that I
need for our internal purposes.  I then built an updates.img (compressed
cpio archive method) containing my file and posted it into the images/
directory from which we install via http.  Apache's logs show the
updates.img file being downloaded ahead of stage2.img, as it should be,
but anaconda is using the network_text.py contained in stage2.img rather
than mine.  Any ideas why?  I tried building a directory path to
network_text.py in updates.img, to match that in stage2.img, but that
made no difference.  I know it's not my file because it works as
expected if I rebuild stage2.img with it.  Perhaps I misunderstand what
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Updates is saying, and changes to
the files within stage2.img cannot be implemented by just placing them
into a updates.img file (?)

Peter