[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Anaconda-devel-list Digest, Vol 70, Issue 24



On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 15:30 -0600,
anaconda-devel-list-request redhat com wrote:
> Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:00:15 -0600
> From: David Lehman <dlehman redhat com>
> Subject: Re: files in updates.img not being implemented
> To: Discussion of Development and Customization of the Red Hat Linux
>         Installer       <anaconda-devel-list redhat com>
> Message-ID: <1259787615 11008 30 camel localhost localdomain>
> Content-Type: text/plain
> 
> On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 14:22 -0600, Peter Scheie wrote:
> > I've made some small changes to network_text.py (in stage2.img) that
> I
> > need for our internal purposes.  I then built an updates.img
> (compressed
> > cpio archive method) containing my file and posted it into the
> images/
> > directory from which we install via http.  Apache's logs show the
> > updates.img file being downloaded ahead of stage2.img, as it should
> be,
> > but anaconda is using the network_text.py contained in stage2.img
> rather
> > than mine.  Any ideas why?  I tried building a directory path to
> 
> Switch to tty2 once the installer's UI comes up, then run this:
> 
>   find /tmp/updates
> 
> Your file should be /tmp/updates/network_text.py,
> not /tmp/updates/textw/network_text.py.
> 
> If there's nothing in /tmp/updates, check /tmp/anaconda.log to see
> what
> went wrong.
> 
> HTH
> 
The good news is updates.img is working now as desired; the bad news is
I'm not certain what I did to fix it.  At David's suggestion, I switched
over to tty2 and looked at /tmp/anaconda.log, and saw entries for the
network_text.py file (even though it was in the wrong place at the
time).  Following David's and Ales's suggestions, I rebuilt updates.img
with my files contained in the root; still didn't work, which wasn't
surprising considering that's what I started with.  Then I had to work
on some other things for a while.  Toward the end of that I was using my
custom built stage2.img.  Then I noticed that it seemed to be picking up
the changes I'd made in network_text.py and placed in updates.img (I
could tell because they included some bugs that I'd fixed in the
stage2.img).  So, I fixed the bugs in network_text.py, rebuilt
updates.img, dropped it on the web server, and it worked!  Then, I
swapped out my custom stage2.img and put in the stock stage2.img and it
too picked up the changes contained in updates.img!  The only
explanation I can think of is that I broke something in the early
versions of customizing network_text.py, such that anaconda decided to
ignore it altogether.  Or some sort of mistake.  It works now, that's
what matters.  This exercise also helped me discover that we have some
deprecated settings in our kickstart file that we want to get rid of, so
thanks to all for the help.

Peter


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]