Re: Change default kernel cmdline to make dracut only online the minimum of devices

Hi,

On 12/25/2009 06:53 AM, Jon Masters wrote:
On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 13:35 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

So I would like to propose to add the necessary kernel cmdline paramters
to grub.conf, to tell dracut to only online certain devices (those needed
for /)

In my opinion, if this is done, it must be done asap. But I really think
it's a bad idea to do this now. I know it affects boot time for a small
number of users who don't reboot that often. Perhaps you have some
indicator of how bad that problem is?

This is not about affecting boot time, but about headless systems not booting
when they have a luks volume somewhere (even if that is not needed for boot).

Or about assembling (and thus marking as dirty) (md) RAID arrays which do
not belong to the system at all, when a system is connected to a SAN, etc.

This really is the right thing to do, and yes we should have done it earlier, but
we definitely should do it before the RHEL-6 beta.

Regards,

Hans