Re: A stern warning of things to come

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 16:10 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:

> (1) It's possible some PXE implementations will not like downloading a single
> 100+ MB image.  I'm hoping the number of machines affected is decreasing every
> year and we can rapidly stop caring.

I know I'm late to the party of reducing the installer initramfs size,
but it does occur to me that there might be more aggressive ways to
strip it down, other than just exluding packages and files.

Let me know if this has been thought about in depth and I'm missing
historical perspective, etc. but it occurs to me that you could prelink
stuff, strip out library functions never called by code in the
initramfs, compress binaries and libraries, etc. etc. I bet if we got a
few of us together we could shave off a lot of usage.

Jon.