Re: install from usb disk without iso image

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 18:20 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to make an external usb disk bootable and install my system
> from this disk. But i would _not_ like to copy iso images to the disk
> but the content of the iso ie: images/ and Packages/ dir and a few
> kickstart file. can i run anaconda to use the 'on disk' repo instead of
> the iso? i can only find ftp, http and harddisk repo, but something like
> file://.. repo definition would be useful.
> thanks in advance.
> regards.

That was removed from anaconda a couple of years ago, It was felt that
with a writeable repo, that a user could mess up the install by altering
the repo. I argued against removing that method for installs, but it
still exists for use with pre-upgrade. Think I have a workaround, add an
fstab entry to mount your usbkey at /var/cache/yum/, use an ks file that
has "install" in it, and pass ks="file location" and preupgrade at the
boot prompt.

Jerry