CD vs DVD install problem

On the subject of split media, I have a CentOS-5-based install tree
created by buildinstall.  Running splittree on it produces the set of CD
images which work perfectly.  However if I make an iso from the full
install tree and burn it to DVD, it installs all the packages correctly
but fails to install the bootloader.  I need to boot from the DVD again
and use rescue mode to run grub manually.  Have I missed a step in
making the DVD?

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"