Re: initrd compressed format

> Let me make more clear of my question. I am from the Fedora QA team, so what I
> care about is the official compress format you distribute.
> According your reply,  will you use XZ format for the ISOs? Thanks.

For the moment, the [default] choice is XZ.  If something better comes
along then probably the choice will change.  "Better" might include
"less energy required for decompression", in which case the choice
might revert to gzip.  Decompressing XZ requires about one multiply
instruction per bit of input, and a multiply requires more energy
than the couple add+subtract instructions used by gzip.  So for ARM,
where longer battery life might be more important than a few hundred
thousand bytes of storage, then gzip might be the choice.