Re: [lorax] Split compression into separate methods; use xz to compress initrd

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 08:50 +0100, Martin Gracik wrote:

> I have the lzma code in my local branch, I was trying it before we went
> to Tempe, so you don't need to bother with it.
>
> But, does it require any changes in anaconda? Or can we push the patch
> to the repo and start using lzma right away?

It can be pushed immediately. initrd decompression is handled by the
kernel, and the F15 kernel already supports lzma/xz, so no anaconda
changes are necessary.

The most significant reason we might want to use xz instead of lzma is
integrity checking - gzip and xz use crc32, lzma has none.

-w