Re: Hostname setting in UI?

> Each system sends its own hostname (propagated statically, ahead of
> time, as DHCP_CLIENT_ID in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*)
> when each system issues the DHCPREQUEST.  The DHCP server (dnsmasq
> on DD-WRT) honors the client request ...

By observation, this mode (each system sends its preferred hostname
as part of the DHCPREQUEST) is the default for Windows xp/vista/7/[8?],
Apple devices *mac/*pod (several generations), and several brands+kinds
of consumer infotainment devices (TVs, Roku, SiliconDust, "smart"
optical disk players, etc.)  If I forget to set DHCP_CLIENT_ID on fedora,
then dnsmasq on DD-WRT sets the hostname as '*' (asterisk).  Of course
I could set up a table of HWADDR==>hostname for dnsmasq, but that is
extra work that gives me no benefit for my network.  (Obviously I
control physical access, and otherwise prevent [or explicitly tolerate]
collisions on hostname.)