Re: Grub installation. First potential Fedora killer

On Jan 7, 2014, at 12:28 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam redhat com> wrote:
> I recalled that
> we'd had some kind of issue with the mkconfig/install ordering before
> while I was writing the patch, indeed, but I couldn't recall if it was
> mkconfig sometimes requiring install to have been run, or the other way
> around...I could probably dredge it out of long-term memory if I sat
> down and looked for it.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2012-12/msg00018.html

grub-install comes before grub-mkconfig. And /etc/default/grub needs to be written before grub-mkconfig is called.

But all of those details can be ignored if the existing code for "install bootloader" is used for  "do not install bootloader", while the later merely causes option --grub-setup=/bin/true to be inserted into the grub-install command. That's more robust as everyone's exercising the same code.

Chris Murphy