Re: Introduction and RFC on kernel cmdline based kickstart-file generation

Am Freitag, den 28.03.2014, 22:01 +0100 schrieb Tru Huynh:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 05:26:34PM +0100, Fabian Deutsch wrote:

> > > Why is this better than just passing inst.ks= pointing to a kickstart?
> >
> > Because you don't need another "hosting" option for a kickstart.
>
> I definitely see the usage for that, but I would just be concerned by
> the size of the buffer compared to the required information contained in
> the initial ks file.
> 1) boot loader argument size limit (grub/syslinux/*PXE)
> 2) kernel parameters length limits
>
> Ymmv, but I have ks files that can range from a few 1000s characters 10
> kB or more.

Yes, we had this limitation problem in the past.

It was not thought to kick off fully fledged installations,

but you could possibly do something with clearpart, autopart, rootpw and
@core (Which would actually be my usecase).

- fabian