Re: btrfs compression by default

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 9:15 AM Michel Alexandre Salim
<michel michel-slm name> wrote:
> There's a further complication: Chris just informed me that on BIOS
> systems, space is more of a constraint so the zstd module is not part
> of GRUB ... meaning we have to handle these two scenarios:

It's available, but it's the 2nd largest GRUB module at ~100KiB. And
on BIOS we're space limit right now to 1 MiB MBR gap or BIOS Boot
partition.

GRUB works fine with a zstd compressed /boot/ but obviously there's
next to no benefit compared to the added complexity since the kernel
and initramfs are already compressed.

So if it's not difficult to exclude compression on /boot/ that's
probably preferred?

--
Chris Murphy