Migrating from pytz to dateutil.tz + zoneinfo

Hello fellow serpents.

I'm one of the Python maintainers in Fedora and RHEL.

I've noticed anaconda-core uses the third party pytz module to work with TZ (timzone) data. Since Python 3.9, there is a zoneinfo module in the Python standard library:

https://docs.python.org/3/library/zoneinfo.html
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0615/

Hence we would like to:

- deprecate pytz in Fedora
- avoid pytz in RHEL 10+

Since anaconda is one of the "important" dependents on pytz from both Fedora and RHEL, I'm reaching out to you in advance. Could you please consider migrating to zoneinfo?

I have not done any such migrations yes, so I don't have any useful links or pointers. However, if you'd be interested I can try with anaconda myself.

Note that I don't know if anaconda code from the default branch at https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda needs to support older Pythons or not. If needed, I can try to make the changes more universal.

Let me know if you need some more info, a patch, or just time to handle it yourselves.

Thanks,
(Please CC me in replies to the list, I don't receive the usual list traffic.)
--
Miro Hrončok