Re: Making reqpart in kickstart to do BIOS+UEFI with GPT on x86?

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 4:58 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13 gmail com> wrote:
Hey all,

Last week, Dan Horak notified the Cloud WG that we accidentally broke
ppc64le images[1] with our Hybrid BIOS+UEFI on GPT setup[2] because
now there's no PReP partition being made for POWER images.

He suggested in the ticket that it might be worth asking if we could
have the reqpart command extended to do BIOS+UEFI setup when on GPT.
If not by default, perhaps adding a flag to do it?
What's would be the difference from the current behavior ?

The docs[0] say about x86 GPT:

"Automatically create partitions required by your hardware platform. These include a /boot/efi for x86_64 and Aarch64 systems with UEFI firmware, biosboot for x86_64 systems with BIOS firmware and GPT, and PRePBoot for IBM Power Systems."

So it would create biosboot and UEFI partitions at the same time (possibly after a flag being passed) ? Also, does this also impact autopart - should it provide similar functionality ?

In any case, as this is a but over my head, I'm adding Vendy a Vojta to chime in on the storage stuff and Javier to possibly comment on the bootloader related aspects.

[0] https://pykickstart.readthedocs.io/en/latest/kickstart-docs.html#reqpart

This would make it a lot easier for me to get this working across
architectures with Fedora Cloud and would probably be beneficial for
RHEL 9+ as well.

What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Neal