XFS and swap problems

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > I also have this problem using the XFS file system.
> > Maybe the ataraid drivers are working only with ext2/3 partitions...
>
> the problem is slightly different. The RAID layer needs to allocate a
> bit of memory during writes, and this doesn't go too well when the VM
> is low on memory and swapping out.
>
> XFS is a different story; it needs to allocate memory on write outs as
> well, making this even worse...

I switched from XFS to ext3 and it's working very well now.  I don't
know
if I have the swap file problem because with 512MB the swap file is not
used much. Maybe I should get another 512MB and get rid of the swap
file.

But since the individual disks used by the RAID are visible to the
system,
would it be possible to use normal swap partitions on these disks?

Marc