Re: Promise Fasttrack s150 TX4 raid issues

Homme R. Bitter wrote:

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 20:38, Jim Perrin wrote:

As of right now I only have sda, and am using the binary drivers from Promise. My problem came about trying to add a label option to the partition, I kept getting duplicate echos that would not allow me to mount via label=/foo but I could mount perfectly using /dev/sda. Thanks for your response. I have not had any experience with the open source drivers yet. Do they yield any performance boost? If you could post a link to or about them I would be grateful. Thanks again

The open source drivers are part of the 2.4.current kernel source. Alternatively, you could look at

This is the original page of the author of the driver. My experience with them is that they give you the option to use a stock
or modified stock (RedHat) kernel, but they do not flush the IDE drives buffers on reboot/powerdown. Performance boost is not what I have tried,
I just wanted a plug-and-play supported solution and stopped
investigating into the performance of the drivers once I found out how
to get them running and the fact that they don't flush the cache on my
drives. On a whole, my personal experience is that it is wise to stay
away from the promise cards on dedicated linux machines, but pay a
little extra and go for 3ware. They offer true hardware raid and have
decent opensource drivers in the linux kernel implemented. I run
production on both Promise and 3ware and I must say that I am personally
more satisfied with 3ware.

These only work on the pata cards, and not the sata cards.

Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)
Sam Flory  <sflory rackable com>