Promise ft.o: does anyone know how ...

... how you can build their lousy binary driver into a static kernel,
and thus avoid having to use an initrd?

Also, this is a bit OT but others here would know: Rebuilding the 40GB
mirror array is slow to the tune of ~4 hours. Is this typical of what
others are seeing? This is a TX2000 (pdc20271).

Thanks,
    Rob - /dev/rob0

PS: Disclaimer: the fact that I am working on a machine with a Promise
    controller in no way constitutes an endorsement of that company and
    their products. I will never buy their trash again.