Improving raid performances with SATA HDD ?

Gabriel Labelle glabelle at optimized.org
Tue Aug 10 20:45:37 UTC 2004

Hello everyone,

I use the md soft raid driver and I would like to make sure I get the
best from my hardware and linux only system.

The board is an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with ...

2x 74GB SATA WD Raptor 10000 on the Intel ICH5-R SATA controller (IDE
mode) :

/dev/md1 (raid1) -> /boot
/dev/md2 (raid0) -> /
/dev/md3 (raid0) -> /home

2x 120B SATA Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 on the Promise PDC20378 (IDE mode)
:

/dev/md4 (raid0) -> /mnt/data

What should I check and/or do (hdparm options, etc.) in order to
optimize disks/raid performances on this workstation?

Many thanks for your time and help :)
Gabriel