New tool to activate ATARAID devices on Linux 2.6

Francesco Peeters Francesco at FamPeeters.com
Fri Jul 2 22:25:45 UTC 2004

Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

>All,
>
>I'm pretty much up to speed implementing a tool "dmraid" (see design posting
>to linux-raid and linux-lvm), which is capable to activate various
>ATARAID sets on Linux 2.6 (eg, Promise FastTrak, Silicon Image Medley,
>Highpoint 45x) using device-mapper.
>
>I need help with these issues:
>
>o anyone who can send me Highpoint 37x metadata copies (sector 9 on each disk),
>  disk geometry and size in sectors of all drives involved ?
>
>o anyone have reengineered LSI MegaIDE / MegaRAID sw-RAID metadata yet
>  (last sector on each device) ?
>
>Regards,
>Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

Does it have to be sector 9 of a *Linux* machine, or would secotr 9 of a
windoze machine do the trick as well?
(I maintain - for my father's office -  a Win2k server with a HPT RAID
based mirror pack. Although I do not know the exact model, and whether
it'd work, I'd be willing to give it a shot for you if you could use the
Windows sector...)

--FP