FastTrak TX2000 and RHEL 3.1

Samuel Flory sflory at rackable.com
Tue Mar 2 23:49:35 UTC 2004

Jonathan Baker-Bates wrote:
>>   The problem is that fasttrak doesn't have an option for jbod, or
>>normal ide mode.  For what ever reason promise does give you an option
>>to create a normal drive in their bios menu.  As odd as it sounds you
>>can create a raid0 array with one drive.  Trust me it works despite
>>being completely wrong in so many ways.  In fact I think it will let you
>>create a mirror with one drive as well.
>

> Ahh - that's worked! I can now boot off either disk. Thanks Samuel.
>
> I'm now trying to test the procedure for adding a replacement disk to the
> array, but the documentation on this is pretty skimpy. I'm actually mildly
> shocked by this - the section on "Reconstruction" in the Software RAID Howto
> is bordering on the comic, and there's no documentation at all for mdadm, it
> seems. So I'll see if this works:
>
> http://www.e-smith.org/docs/howto/RAID-recovery-howto.html

   There really are far to many unmaintained howtos floating around.

> At least it has a date on it...

   It's really quite easy to replace a drive.

1)Just create the same partition layout on the new drive.
You just want  to do this*:
`fdisk -d /dev/hde > /etc/hde.sfdisk`
`fdisk -d /dev/hdg > /etc/hdg.sfdisk`
then if hdg fails `sfdisk /dev/hdg < /etc/hdg.sfdisk`

2)Do a 'raidhotadd /dev/md(array number) /dev/hd(partition number) for
each array.  Look in /etc/raidtab for details on what maps to what.

*Personally I'm really lazy so I do this :
dd if=/dev/gooddrive of=/dev/replacementdrive count=1024
echo "w" |fdisk /dev/replacementdrive
(copy the partition table from the good drive to the new drive, and use
fdisk to force linux to reread the partition table.)

--
Unless you can't avoid it never put a
serial number on any of your systems!!