Raid reconstruction

Simone simone72 at email.it
Wed Mar 10 13:49:47 UTC 2004

Hi list,
just a question. I set up raid 1 on both a red hat 9 and a slackware 9.1 system, and I noticed differences when rebuilding arrays. I was testing a failure recovery and when the disk is replaced and the partitions rebuilt, I run raidhotadd /dev/md1 /dev/hdc2  for ex. then in the slackware distro, typing cat /proc/mdstat I can monitor the process of rebuilding the array, I get the percentage of reconstruction. In red hat instead, I see the disk as spare, and still one disk missing. Then after a while and some reboots, I can see the disk in the array and no missing disks. I just wondered wether this is normal and I just have to wait till I can cat /proc/mdstat and see everything is fine, or there is actually a way to monitor the process during the reconstruction of the array.

I would really appreciate any suggestion, cause I'm now building a samba server and I have to choose between this 2 distros.

Thank you,

Simone

---