FastTrak TX2000 and RHEL 3.1

Jonathan Baker-Bates jonathan at bakerbates.com
Tue Mar 2 23:16:33 UTC 2004

>    The problem is that fasttrak doesn't have an option for jbod, or
> normal ide mode.  For what ever reason promise does give you an option
> to create a normal drive in their bios menu.  As odd as it sounds you
> can create a raid0 array with one drive.  Trust me it works despite
> being completely wrong in so many ways.  In fact I think it will let you
> create a mirror with one drive as well.

Ahh - that's worked! I can now boot off either disk. Thanks Samuel.

I'm now trying to test the procedure for adding a replacement disk to the
array, but the documentation on this is pretty skimpy. I'm actually mildly
shocked by this - the section on "Reconstruction" in the Software RAID Howto
is bordering on the comic, and there's no documentation at all for mdadm, it
seems. So I'll see if this works:

http://www.e-smith.org/docs/howto/RAID-recovery-howto.html

At least it has a date on it...

Jonathan