Monitoring ataraid devices in linux 2.4

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Thu Nov 11 10:18:50 UTC 2004

Hi,

> Hi all, is there a way to monitor the health status of 2 ataraid disk in
> raid mirror? Something similar to mdadm, which sends me a mail if a
> disk dies...

Read up on smartd.  It will send you an e-mail if your disk is about to die.

> Moreover, how can perform restoration after changing the died disk?

Should be something in the bios, perhaps read your manual.  I'm running
raid 0, so it's not an issue for me ;)

> Last thing: a friend said that on my promise tx 2000 with ataraid module
> (debian with linux 2.4.26), if a disk dies the whole array isn't
> visible anymore by the os... is that true?

Don't know about that.

Kind regards,

Mark
* |\    /|      |  /|  /       Mark Wormgoor                  *
* | \  / |      | / | /        mailto:mark at wormgoor.com       *
* |  \/  |ark   |/  |/ormgoor  http://www.wormgoor.com/mark/  *