DMRaid mkinitrd

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Mon Oct 11 20:04:49 UTC 2004

Hi,

After spending a lot of the weekend with Anaconda, I managed to install
Fedora devel (Rawhide) on my machine with a SiI3112 SATA RAID-0 set
(already running FC-1 with medley.o).  Patch is available upon request.

My next step is to get it to boot without too much hacking to the
current mkinitrd script.  But... I'm not having a lot of success.  What
the script does is:
- run nash
- mount proc
- mount sysfs
- start udev

Then, I let it run dmraid -ay.  I know dmraid works, because I used it
in Anaconda to install. But, dmraid just exits with an error with no
real error message (just return code = 1).  And, the devices are not
there under /dev/mapper.  I tried the static binary from the static rc4
rpm and I tried a self compiled binary with enable-mini.  It doesn't
make any difference.

I even copied a static busybox into the initrd to troubleshoot, but
nothing I do helps.  What is going on?
Erik, how did you get it to work?

BTW, next step is lilo; I am still using lilo under FC1, since that
works, but after getting initrd to work, I will try Erik's patch next.

Kind regards,

Mark
* |\    /|      |  /|  /       Mark Wormgoor                  *
* | \  / |      | / | /        mailto:mark at wormgoor.com       *
* |  \/  |ark   |/  |/ormgoor  http://www.wormgoor.com/mark/  *