dmraid works with my TX-2000

Dick dm at chello.nl
Fri Apr 22 20:57:02 UTC 2005

>> I thought about that, but I don't like the "newroot" to be mounted
>> read/write during initrd-time :(:(
> Hm? Please enlighten me.  Why is that bad?
Because the initscripts should mount it read/write. In the mean time the
filesystem should be fscked (and I think this isn't a good idea on a
read/write mounted filesystem)

>> /bin/mount -t ext3 -o ro $REAL_ROOT /root
> This one.  Won't work for eg. reiserfs users (me).
Completely true, but I'm afraid it's mounted as ext2 when I don't specify the
filesystem type.

In search of my previous question I've found multipath-tools:
http://christophe.varoqui.free.fr/wiki/wakka.php?wiki=Home
which creates device-mapper device nodes in udev and seem to work like a
charm:
brw-r-----  1 root root 253, 0 Apr 22 21:53 /dev/dm-0
brw-r-----  1 root root 253, 1 Apr 22 21:53 /dev/dm-1
brw-r-----  1 root root 253, 2 Apr 22 21:53 /dev/dm-2
brw-r-----  1 root root 253, 3 Apr 22 21:53 /dev/dm-3
brw-r-----  1 root root 253, 4 Apr 22 21:53 /dev/dm-4
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      4 Apr 22 21:53 /dev/pdc_badgbecbh -> dm-0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      4 Apr 22 21:53 /dev/pdc_badgbecbh1 -> dm-1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      4 Apr 22 21:53 /dev/pdc_badgbecbh2 -> dm-2
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      4 Apr 22 21:53 /dev/pdc_badgbecbh3 -> dm-3
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      4 Apr 22 21:53 /dev/pdc_badgbecbh4 -> dm-4

Although I'm not really sure if I really want hotplug, udevstart and friends
in my initrd.

Another difficulty are the devices which are created in /dev and not
in /dev/mapper, I don't know if this is wrong or correct... It is
inconsistent with dmraid. It could be fixed in the udev rules but I don't
know why /dev/mapper would be better.

I hope this helps someone, and someone could point me out why dmraid
uses /dev/mapper/ to hold the device nodes.

greetings
Dick