Misaligned raid0

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed Dec 21 16:01:38 UTC 2005

How can it possibly be ok?  Here is a simple example using a stripe
factor of 4 on two disks:

Disk 0: 0  8 16
         1  9 !!
         2 10
         3 11
Disk 1: 4 12 ??
         5 13
         6 14
         7 15

That is a stripe factor of 4 with a total length of 18 sectors on a pair
of disks that are only 9 sectors long.  Logical sector 16 maps to the
last sector on disk 0, but 17 also maps to disk 0, but beyond the end of
the disk, rather than mapping to the last sector on disk 1.

This is why it seems impossible to me to have a stripe length that is
not an even multiple of the stripe width.

By the way, it turned out that the filesystem does end before the final
stripe and it isn't reiserfs that is accessing past the end of the
device, it's some kind of probing that is going on in the initramfs.
Maybe LVM or EVMS or something.  I stopped worrying about it in any case.