List should be renamed

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 12:26:24 UTC 2005

Maurice Hilarius wrote:
> After watching and reading this for well over a year,

You don't have to read every posting.
Skipping the ones that doesn't catch your interest is allowed.

> I am quiting this list.
> Why?
> Because, while I have great interest in RAID on Linux,

This list only regards cheap ATA controllers which does
software raid using a BIOS and no CPU.
If you want a general RAID on Linux discussion,
head over to the linux-raid mailing list at:
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-raid

(If you want to see support for your semi-cheap RAID
controller WITH a CPU on Linux, my feeling is that you're
screwed because the current architecture don't support it.
But then again, I'm not an expert.)

> this list is really only for one thing:
> Customer support for the products made by Promise Technology.

That's not true.
This list is also about customer support for products made by
HighPoint, Intel and possibly others.

On a more abstract level, it could be said that the list is about
making ATARAID devices function natively in an open source
environment.

Personally, I think that the list is about getting software RAID to
work together between Windows and Linux.  I think that the
various ATARAID hardware out there just happens to be the
happy providers of the binary formats (ad hoc "standards") that
allow this to happen.

(Thus allowing myself and others who are just beginning to
switch to Linux or otherwise still have a need for a Windows
partition on our RAID systems that particular luxury.  I've been
running Windows straight for years with my ATARAID controller,
the only reason for not doing most of my work in Linux is that
it cannot handle my RAID partitions.)

> And, considering the wealth of problems I see posted here, it is obvious
> that anyone using products made by Promise get what they have been
> warned of:
> A "Promise", nothing more.

Yeah, that's what you get with a lot of low end hardware.
It's unfortunate that there is not more cooperation with the open source
community and hardware vendors, so we could have better Linux support
for cheap hardware faster.  My best guess is that they're paranoid about
their on-disk formats.  I just can't seem to guess why, as it just _cant_
by any measure be rocket science they're doing, but hey.  Seems that
paranoid hardware vendors is the rule more than the exception.  (Again,
I'm not an expert, so go ask someone who talks to the hardware vendors
if you want the real deal.)

> Bye folks.

Good bye.

> With our best regards,
>
> Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
> Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
> 11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
> Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
>    T5X 1Y3
>
> This email, message, and content, should be considered confidential,
> and is the copyrighted property of Hard Data Ltd., unless stated otherwise.

Posting confidential stuff to a public mailing list should be punishable.