Some strange behavior with Promise Fasttrak

paul moore paulm2012 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 04:25:32 UTC 2005

--- Örjan Persson <orange at fobie.net> wrote:

> paul moore (paulm2012 at yahoo.com) wrote:
> >  Hmmm, now that is interesting. The only thing that was changed in the
> > handleing of primary partitions was a check to see if the partition ran
> > off the end of the disk and whether it has non-zero start and length
> > logical block addresses. Maybe M$ doing some kind of address rollover or
> > negitive addressing, not sure yet.
>
> I don't know either. I thought my disk was partitioned using cfdisk, but
> maybe it wasn't. Tho, it's formatted using tools from Microsoft.

Shall see what it looks like.

> >  Are you a coder? It would be very interresting if you could send a
> > tarballed dd of the first block of the first drive to the mailing list
> > so I can see which end is up.
>
> I guess you could call me a coder, but I don't understand anything about
> the code for dmraid -- sorry if I can't be of much help!

No problem, just needed to find out how to put things.

> Tho, I've tried to create a tarball with the first block of /dev/hde.
> Sorry for sending the file to the list, but I guess that's the wanted
> solution!

The file was all zeros. Not mirrored yet? Not sure, but try this:
  dd if=/dev/mapper/pdc_daicbgifh of=/wherever/whatever.dat count=1
after starting up dmraid. If that gives an error try /dev/hdf for
the input file. Gotta be there somewhere B~).

About sending it to the list, it's kind of like carrier pigeons, not
always the most reliable or timely route. I'll CC it to your mail, if
that't alright with you.

> >  In an earlier message I asked you if you had done an mkfs, well that
> > was in error. It should have been format. I sent out a correction, but
> > it never reached the list.
>
> No, I haven't done that!
>
> > Do you Yahoo!?
>
> No, sorry not that either. :)