dmraid fails on 2.6.10 kernel

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Thu Jan 20 08:17:43 UTC 2005

Hi,

> I just upgraded to kernel 2.6.10, and dmraid is not working anymore. The
> configuration of 2.6.10 is identical to my previous 2.6.9 config, I loaded the
> same config file in both kernels and recompiled them both just to make sure. As
> soon as I switch the kernel from 2.6.9 to 2.6.10, dmraid stops working.
>
> When doing 'dmraid -vvvddd -ay', I can see that dmraid finds the signatures of
> my Promise Fasttrak RAID-0 array, but it never registers the partitions on the
> device-mapper devices. Maybe some syscall was changed incompatibly in 2.6.10?
>
> Sorry I can't post the output of dmraid with 2.6.10 at the moment, as I have
> dmraid running from an initrd environment, the boot partition is on RAID, and I
> haven't managed to boot succesfully with 2.6.10+dmraid yet.
>
> If this is needed, let me know, I will try to modify the initrd image to dump
> the output of dmraid to a floppy disk during boot.

I have dmraid running from initrd as well on a FC3 system and I wanted
to say that I just upgraded to the latest FC3 2.6.10 kernel (which is
not necessarily the same as your 2.6.10 kernel) and it works just fine
for me.

I had some doubts about upgrading after your e-mail, but decided to go
ahead with the old kernel as a backup and had no problems booting.

Kind regards,

Mark