Installation on RAID-only system

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 22:51:44 UTC 2005

Hi

I'm trying to do a 2.6 / device-mapper / dmraid install on a system
with only RAID disks.

Using Gentoo, as it has a GCC on a livecd.  First impressions: Overly
complicated.

Got far enough that the only thing needed now is to add a boot loader
to the system.

I've had a RedHat system running on the box before , so I know it can
be done.  The RedHat installation used proprietary binary-only drivers
to write the LILO boot loader to disk though, and I obviously can't
make those modules run under the Gentoo 2.6 livecd kernel.

First I got this error from LILO:
"Fatal: Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0xfe00.