grub 0.96 bug

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:40:47 UTC 2005

Chris Nicola wrote:
> Yes I am having the exact same problem.  I am actually just going to try
> and lower version of grub for now but I will try this patch if that
> still happens.

Just did this:
==========
grub> device (hd0) /dev/mapper/hpt37x_ehgjaggaf
grub> root (hd0,5)/boot
Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x83
grub> setup (hd0)
==========

and it destroyed my RAID0.
GRUB is such a piece of crap :-).

It must be severely broken; since if it just sticked to writing to the
device I pointed it at (hpt37x_ehgjaggaf) which is a RAID0 "virtual
disk" / whatever, it should never be able to overwrite metadata out on
the physical disk.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you to beware.
Gerte has a GRUB example on his page where he does setup (hd0,5)
instead of setup (hd0), perhaps that's how it's meant to work.

Gah.....