Successfully booting on SiI3112 Raid 0 with Gentoo!

Chris Nicola nicola at mast.queensu.ca
Mon Mar 21 14:09:40 UTC 2005

Thanks Carl.  I have used a grub boot disk and I got it working.  I want
to thank Hienz and everyone else who has helped with dmraid.  I also
want to thank Gerte for the gen2dmraid disk.  It has been very useful
for me in testing dmraid and now finally getting it installed.  It seems
to be working and stable at the moment I will let you know if anything
nasty happens *crosses fingers*.

I will put together a detailed description of what I did to get it
working for the NF7-S/SiI3112 Raid 0 setup I have.

The main thing that needs to be done if you are going to use Gerte's
method is to remember to compile the DM and SCSI modules you need for
your system into the kernel.  When you use the .config from the
gen2dmraid cd they are modules (for obvious reasons) and so you need to
go into the config and remove the modules you dont need and make sure
the ones you do are compiled into the kernel.

Other than that his initrd works like a charm for me, but his method of
installing grub doesn't.  Use Carl's suggestion below to install grub if
it isn't working for you either.

Also be sure to look at his post in the gentoo forums.  It is much more
detailed that what he has on the gen2dmraid site.  It also covers how to
install gentoo using this program.  Somthing that those who are having
trouble installing linux on their systems will want to have.

I suppose there still isn't a solid way to install Fedora Core on a raid
only system, right?

Thanks,
Chris