What happens if raid gets broken?

Roland mailnode at gmx.net
Fri Mar 25 09:31:58 UTC 2005

Hi,

What happend if for example 1 disk of a mirror raid gets broken, has bad
sectors? Will there be an appropriate error message and will the metadata be
changed?
I am running dmraid with a hpt37x mirror (raid 1) on 2.6.10 debian amd64. When
I copy some large files onto the raid, my computer "freezes" and I dont get
any message in syslog or dmesg. I load dmraid in verbose mode and also have
enabled debug symbols but dont see any error message.
Whats wrong? Is this a problem of the device mapper? Any Idea?

thanks
Roland