dmraid works. now what?

striker striker at Dread.net
Wed May 18 20:10:10 UTC 2005

Please forgive my ignorance.  I'll provide any info required.  Here's my
situation.

I've been running a windows box with a promise fastrak controller.  It's
got two disks in a striped configuration.

I recently installed an indepented 3rd disk, used it to install FC3, and
set up dmraid.  dmraid recognized my raid and the entries in /dev/mapper
exist:

crw-------  1 root root  10, 63 Apr 29 00:19 control
brw-r-----  1 root root 253,  0 May 18 12:41 pdc_djbcgacc
brw-r-----  1 root root 253,  1 May 18 12:41 pdc_djbcgacc1
brw-r-----  1 root root 253,  2 May 18 12:41 pdc_djbcgacc5

The total disk space on the raid is 120 GB.  I haven't allocated it all.
I want to use the unused space to create a linux "partition".  This is
where I start to flounder.  I don't have any experience configuring
software raid on Linux.

It seems like I should use LVM2 somehow except that I'm not sure how to do
so without destroying what I've already got on the disks. Here's the
output of lvmdiskscan:

  /dev/hda  [        3.74 GB]
  /dev/hde  [       57.25 GB]
  /dev/hdg  [       57.25 GB]
  /dev/hda1 [        2.73 GB]
  /dev/hde1 [        4.89 GB]
  /dev/hda2 [     1019.75 MB]
  /dev/hde2 [        1.00 KB]
  3 disks
  4 partitions
  0 LVM physical volume whole disks
  0 LVM physical volumes

What's my next step here?  Please talk to me like I am 3 years old.

Thanks in advance.