problems with via controller and msdos

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Fri May 20 06:27:32 UTC 2005

Alessandro Jacopini wrote:
> WARN: locking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
> NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdc
> NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdb
> NOTICE: /dev/hda: via    discovering
> NOTICE: /dev/sda: via    discovering
> NOTICE: /dev/sda: via metadata discovered
> NOTICE: /dev/sdb: via    discovering
> NOTICE: /dev/sdb: via metadata discovered
> DEBUG: _find_set: searching via_cdjiceidbi
> DEBUG: _find_set: not found via_cdjiceidbi
> DEBUG: _find_set: searching via_cdjiceidbi
> DEBUG: _find_set: not found via_cdjiceidbi
> NOTICE: added /dev/sda to RAID set "via_cdjiceidbi"
> DEBUG: _find_set: searching via_cdjiceidbi
> DEBUG: _find_set: found via_cdjiceidbi
> DEBUG: _find_set: searching via_cdjiceidbi
> DEBUG: _find_set: found via_cdjiceidbi
> NOTICE: added /dev/sdb to RAID set "via_cdjiceidbi"
> DEBUG: checking via device "/dev/sda"
> DEBUG: checking via device "/dev/sdb"
> DEBUG: set status of set "via_cdjiceidbi" to 16
> NOTICE: discovering partitions on "via_cdjiceidbi"
> NOTICE: /dev/mapper/via_cdjiceidbi: dos    discovering

Looks good.

> ERROR: dos: reading /dev/mapper/via_cdjiceidbi[No such
> file or directory]

Looks bad.
It's telling you that it can't scan the partition table.
That's probably because dmraid assembled the device incorrectly.
Again, I can't tell you anymore than your syslog can, since any
messages regarding the actual device assembly (device-mapper messages)
will unfortunately only appear in your syslog.
Did you check if your syslog contains other messages than the single
one from your last posting?
If it does not, then I don't have a clue ;-).

> WARN: unlocking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
> DEBUG: freeing devices of RAID set "via_cdjiceidbi"
> DEBUG: freeing device "via_cdjiceidbi", path
> "/dev/sda"
> DEBUG: freeing device "via_cdjiceidbi", path
> "/dev/sdb"

Also fine.