Issue with PATA (IDE) RAID on SiI0680 chip

Richard Powell rspowell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 20:36:30 UTC 2005

Hey all,
 I have a SYBA RAID card which uses the Silicon Image 680 (or sometimes
referred to as CMD680) medley chipset. I came across dmraid whilst searching
for a working solution for my fakeraid setup, and noticed that the website
reports that the Silicon Image Medley chipsets are supported by dmraid.
 The problems is, I've tried several boot disks which include support for
dmraid (such as the standard gentoo livecd with boot param dodmraid, the
gen2dmraid boot cd, the ahorn5 boot cd and fedora core 4's livecd), and none
of these seem so be able to detect my raid array.
 Running a dmraid -ay on any of the cds yields a "No Software RAID disks",
however the kernel always detects the card perfectly (the two disks can be
accessed directly through /dev/hde and /dev/hdg).
 All of this leads me to believe that the Silicon Medley PATA Raid chipset
is not currently supported by dmraid, and this support is limited to the
data raid chipset (3112, I think). Also, my motherboard has Nforce3 PATA NV
Raid onboard as well, and dmraid does not work with that fakeraid solution
either.
 Does this mean that no PATA solution for fakeraid exists in linux?
 I appreciate your help and would love to help out with getting PATA raid
chipsets included in dmraid's support list. Please let me know how I can
help out, or if a solution already exists, what it is.
 Kind Regards,
--
Richard Powell (rspowell at gmail.com)