fedora Core 4 : dmraid doesnt detect Intel 6300ESB SATA RAID Software RAID sets

Dushyanth Harinath dushyanth.h at directi.com
Wed Sep 14 18:09:28 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a server with the below SATA RAID controller and i have
configured RAID 1 mirror in the BIOS using 2 SATA drives. Fedora core 4
install went smoothly [ Funny thing was that I had to type in 'linux
anything' at the installer boot prompt first and then type linux to get
the installer going. Read this workaround in some forum ]

00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 6300ESB SATA RAID
Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8f)
         Subsystem: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 3451
         Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 177
         I/O ports at cf80 [size=8]
         I/O ports at cf00 [size=4]
         I/O ports at ce80 [size=8]
         I/O ports at ce00 [size=4]
         I/O ports at cd80 [size=16]

This RAID controller is supposed to be ICH5 chipset and supported by
dmraid but dmraid doesnt show me any software RAID sets.

[root at localhost ~]# dmraid -cs -vvvvvv
WARN: locking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
NOTICE: /dev/sda: hpt37x discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: hpt45x discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: isw    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: lsi    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: nvidia discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: pdc    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: sil    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: via    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: hpt37x discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: hpt45x discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: isw    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: lsi    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: nvidia discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: pdc    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: sil    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: via    discovering
No Software RAID disks
WARN: unlocking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock

I also tried installing the latest device-mapper and dmraid by compiling
the source and i still get the same output. Below are the versions

[root at localhost ~]# dmsetup version
Library version:   1.01.04 (2005-08-02)
Driver version:    4.4.0

[root at localhost ~]# dmraid -V
dmraid version:         1.0.0.rc8 (2005.05.19) debug
dmraid library version: 1.0.0.rc8 (2005.05.19)
device-mapper version:  4.4.0

How can i get RAID 1 configured on this (fakeraid) RAID controller ?
Does dmraid support it ? Please advice.

TIA
Dushyanth