dmraid false positive

Greg Felix greg.felix at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:55:36 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've got a computer capable of setting up an isw RAID.  It can also be
switched to handle the two disks separately, which I'm currently
doing.  The problem is that when I boot up dmraid is still finding a
RAID array.  The problems are: 1. I don't have a RAID array 2. The
array it is finding is of type sil (not isw) 3.  The array is being
setup only on my second disk (/dev/sdb).  Anybody ever seen this?  I
don't know what the sil metadata looks like or where is should be on
the disk.  I guess this might not be a dmraid bug since if the disk
really has metadata on it than dmraid is doing what it should by
setting up the array.

I just wanted to see what you all think. Or whether you know anything
off hand about this.

Below are some dmraid outputs:

Greg

dmraid -tay -vvv gives:

WARN: locking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/sdc
NOTICE: /dev/sda: hpt37x discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: hpt45x discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: isw    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: lsi    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: nvidia discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: pdc    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: sil    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: via    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: hpt37x discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: hpt45x discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: isw    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: lsi    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: nvidia discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: pdc    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: sil    discovering
NOTICE: sil: areas 1,2,3,4[4] are valid
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: sil metadata discovered
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: via    discovering
NOTICE: added /dev/sdb to RAID set "sil_afafdibjcbfg"
sil_afafdibjcbfg: 0 145223040 linear /dev/sdb 0
INFO: Activating stripe RAID set "sil_afafdibjcbfg"
WARN: unlocking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock

dmsetup table gives:

sil_afafdibjcbfg1: 0 145211472 linear 254:0 63
sil_afafdibjcbfg: 0 145223040 linear 8:16 0