Here is how to stop the new udev from accessing your striped dmraid drives

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 22:52:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 15:23 -0500, James Olson wrote:
> The real problem is that in a striped array one of the drives will
> seem to be bigger than it really is.  In the 2.4 kernel the ataraid
> module had a feature where it suppressed the partitions on the
> individual drives from the system.   In the 2.6 kernel dmraid doesn't
> suppress them.  So far I have found that

> 1) I can't use any labels in fstab or it will trigger the seeking
> errors problem.
> 2) have to edit the hal filter also
> 3) have to edit the lvm filter
> 4) and now have to edit the udev filter.

So, I can't speak about 2 or 4, but 1 and 3 should be fixed in the
current fc5 test releases.

#1 is addressed in libblkid (part of e2fsprogs), and sct has looked at
it without complaint, so once we get a bit more testing I'll forward it
on to the tytso to add upstream.

#3 should be fixed in more recent lvm2 packages (upstream and fc5 test
packages), in that lvm2 now prefers "leaf-node" device-mapper devices
over other devices when looking for pv data.

It'd still be really nice to simply "turn off" physical partitions when
we're using the full device in a device-map.

--
  Peter