lost ext3 partition after reinstalling os.

Michael Kovacs mkovacs at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 19 11:48:55 UTC 2006

Luca Berra wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 02:59:24PM -0800, Michael Kovacs wrote:
>
>> Phillip Susi wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like you either blew away your partition table, or
>>> /dev/mapper/pdc_dcbagbdid is not being set up correctly.  I'm
>>> guessing when you reinstalled, something went wrong and blew away
>>> the partition table.
>>

>> Phillip, any suggestions as to how I might get the partion back?
>>
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.html

Luca, You are an angel sent from God, You just saved my marriage. OK
here is what I did to recover my lost raid-0 ext3 partition.
I used the suggested program "testdisk" to rewrite the lost parttion,
then rebooted the computer. Upon boot-up /dev/dm-3 was created to
reflect the partition on the raid device. I found that out from "dmesg |
tail" which told me of filesystem corruption on that device. I then ran
"fsck /dev/dm-3" and repaired the filesystem. After that I was able to
mount the raid partition with "mount /dev/mapper/pdc_dcbagbdid1 /mnt/array"

Again thank you all who responded to my plea for help and thank you Luca
for saving my day and possibly my life!

Michael Kovacs