Installing new Linux

Robert Mortimer rmortimer at bluechiptechnology.co.uk
Fri Jul 7 11:10:28 UTC 2006

First I was not aware that DMRAID was RAID 5 capable

The suse installer can read the Meta Data from your SATA raid to see how it
should be configured. In FC this information is used to set up device mapper
raid (unless raid 5 is called for and then you have to fall back to normal
Linux raid). The last time I tried SUSe YAST did not attempt to install RAID
based on meta data, it did however fire out a warning that it was unsure of
what may already be on the disks.

My advice - Skip the error and use suse setup tools to create the RAID you
want. This may well be normal Linux software raid.

Robert