[RE]LVM + dmraid

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sun Jul 9 00:54:02 UTC 2006

David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> writes:

> "big_spender12" <big_spender12 at lycos.com> writes:
>

>> BusyBox v1.01 (Debian 1:1.01-4ubuntu3) Built-in shell (ash)
>> < snip..>
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> Looks like they are using busybox in the initial ramdisk. It
>> provides some basic shell commands such as mount with a small memory
>> requirement (commands are all static linked in). I suspect you are
>> having problems with the busybox not supporting mounting of your
>> type of raid.
>>
>> The fix would be to not use the internal busybox mount command but
>> include your own mount command (statically linked so the file will
>> be large) into the inital ramdisk and use that instead.
>>
>> For example I noticed that Fedora Core 5 uses busybox in anaconda
>> initial installer and that mount command doesn't work with "UUID="
>> type mounts. Redhat nash (similar to busybox) that is installed for
>> the normal boot does support the UUID= for it's internal mount
>> command.  Hope this points you in the right direction,
>
> Wow, thanks, James; I think it might.  But now I need to know how to
> build an appropriate initrd.  Got a link somewhere that I can follow?

Well, for what it's worth, I tried going into
/etc/mkinitramfs/initramfs.conf and setting

  BUSYBOX=n

and then I did

  initramfs-update -c -k <my-kernel-version>

but that ultimately had exactly zero effect, including that I still
dropped into BusyBox upon failure.

I'm at a total loss.  I can't even find docs for initramfs-update out
there.  Desperation is beginning to set in... :(

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting