LVM + dmraid

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jul 10 14:20:20 UTC 2006

Could you supply some more background information?  What kind of raid
setup do you have?  How did you configure LVM?  What kind of logical
volumes did you create within the volume group?  How did you direct the
system to boot from the correct root volume ( root= kernel parameter )?

I have not used LVM before but I have read a good deal about it, but I
wrote the FakeRaidHowto you followed so I may be able to help.  My
initial guess is that the initrd is mounting the wrong root filesystem,
such as your /boot ( which is a regular partition, not part of the
volume group right? ) and this partition has no /sys and /proc
directories, which is why it complains about not being able to mount them.

By the way, is there a particular reason you want to use LVM over
dmraid?  I'm not quite sure what benefits it would provide over
conventional partitioning.