Re: LVM + dmraid

> and this partition has no /sys and
> /proc directories, which is why it complains about not being able to
> mount them.

Well, IIRC there was nothing useful mounted on /root.  I don't
remember exactly what it was, but it just contained lost+found.  I can
mount /boot on /root and I see the files.

"Just contained lost+found" - Uhh, plus the mountpoints, right? If there really is nothing but the lost+found dir on your root, you'll have lots of problems specifying mount points.