Trap divide error and dmraid

Tony.Cetera at thomson.com Tony.Cetera at thomson.com
Mon Jul 31 02:55:08 UTC 2006

Hello,

After upgrading from the 2.6.16 kernel to 2.6.17 on FC5 x86_64, I'm
getting the following error early in the boot process.  "init[1] trap
divide error rip: 4296d7 rsp 7fffe9feb3b0 error 0"

After searching fedoraforum.org for "trap divide error" I noticed some
folks were able to fix this problem by disabling "dm partadd" in the
initrd image.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115592&page=2&pp=15
&highlight=trap+divide+error  Is this a known issue?  Is there a
workaround for my case where the root partition is a raid partition?

Tony