Fedora Core 5 seek errors in the initrd

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Mon Mar 27 16:27:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 19:53 -0500, James Olson wrote:
> I tried installing the new Fedora Core 5 but I can't figure out how to
> suppress the kernel seek errors in the initial ramdisk image booting
> stage.

What seek errors are these?  Can you show me a log?

>   In Fedora Core 4 they used to use udev in the initrd and you could
> prevent a partition scan with a modification to the udev rules file
> like:
> KERNEL=="hde*|hdf*|hdg*|sdb*|sdc*|sdd*", GOTO="persistent_end"

This doesn't prevent a partition scan; it just prevents the mknod
in /dev .

> in FC5 they use nash and the mkblkdevs command.   How can we prevent
>  nash from ever creating device nodes for drives we wish to hide from
> everything but dmraid?

You can't -- but that shouldn't be a problem.  When it creates the raid
device, it removes the partition devices from the original disks.  Is
that not happening for you?

> The nash command rmparts seems to remove them but that is after the
> fact, and the errors occur I'm guessing right when the mkblkdevs
> command makes them.

There's nothing in mkblkdevs that performs any device access at all, so
that's probably not it.  At that point the kernel has already scanned
the partition table, exactly as it had in FC4.  So you're probably
seeing something after that.

My first guess is that we're getting the parameters for your dmraid
device wrong, and then the errors come from scanning the partitions on
that, but I can't be sure without more info on how your disks are set
up.

--
  Peter