newest mm kernel, nash, mkinitrd, boot hang

James Olson big_spender12 at lycos.com
Mon May 22 07:56:04 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I just tried Andrew Morton's latest mm kernel (2.6.17-rc4-mm2) and it hangs in the initrd during the device mapper stage.

redhat nash does not seem to like the new kernel for some reason, for instance on the normal released kernel 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 we have:
# nash --force
(forcing normal run)
Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting
dm list pdc_jbeijfhe
rmparts hdg
rmparts hde
create pdc_jbeijfhe
part pdc_jbeijfhe

and on 2.6.17-rc4-mm2 kernel same command we have an error at the end and the last part pdc_jbeijfhe line is missing:

# nash --force
(forcing normal run)
Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting
dm list pdc_jbeijfhe
rmparts hdg
rmparts hde
create pdc_jbeijfhe
Floating point exception

Any ideas as to why the new kernel would cause nash to have this error?  I did try rebuilding nash from the mkinitrd source rpm.
         -James