Initrd boot phase errors reading bogus partition on ATA raid drive

charlweed charlweed at comcast.net
Thu Oct 26 22:19:01 UTC 2006

Hi gurus!

Booting my Fedora 5 (2.6.18-1.2200.fc5) system takes an extra couple of
minutes because of disk errors. The system is trying to "do something" with
a partition on a drive that is part of a raid set, and failing. These errors
occur during the initrd boot phase. After the system boot, the system is
apparently ok.

When I boot Linux, I get several screens worth of the following error

      Buffer I/O error on device hde1, logical block 625153152

hde is part of a 2 disk striped raid set. I can stop the errors if I add
"hde=noprobe hdf=noprobe" as a kernel boot parameter, but then I cannot use
dmraid to access my raid partition, because /dev/hde & /dev/hde don't exist.
I tried adding boot parameter "hde=19457,255,63" but the device remains
invisible.

My naive guess is that I can solve my problem by either

1) Getting dmraid to see my drives after a boot that uses "noprobe"

2) Stopping whatever program is trying to access hde1 during the initrd
boot.

All my attempts at 1) have failed, and I have no idea how to do 2).

My System has

      An Abit AN7 nforce chipset motherboard with

             2 ATA onboard channels

      onboard Si3112 SATA Raid ( I use SATA, but not the SATA raid)

      A SiI0680 (CMD 680) pci ATA card

The drive layout is

      hda onboard ata [hda1=/boot ,ext3 : hda2=unmounted, ntfs]

      hdc onboard ata [ hdc1= /, ext3 : hdc2=swap : hdc3=/var, ext3]

**    hde SiI0680 striped raid set 1

      hdf SiI0680 [ hdf1=unmounted, ntfs ]

**    hdg SiI0680 striped raid set 1

      sda onboard SATA [sda1=unmounted, ntfs]

**    dm-0 raid 1[dm-0p1=unmounted, ntfs]

Thanks!

Charlweed